10 Things FEB 20 2019
The Carroll County DEMs leadership team had a meeting this past Monday afternoon. There was a report from the Knute Ogren who shared what he’s been up to since his appointment to the chair two weeks ago. Treasurer Bill McKay gave his report and the group offered sincere thanks for his excellent work on our behalf. Rep. DesMarais shared some highlights about the work of the county delegation. Others participating were Secretary Patricia Pustell and at large member Stan Solomon. There were some former county chairpersons who participated in the call. County Bylaws state that former chairpersons have voice but no vote during leadership meetings. It was great having Chris Meier, Beth Funicella, and Dorothy Solomon participating.
1. The County Caucus date has been chosen and party leaders from Concord have confirmed they will be with us on MAY 5th at 1 pm. The Bylaws of the NH DEM Party state that New Hampshire’s Party Leadership must be present to run the caucus. The location of the caucus will be announced in the coming weeks. But please — make a note of the date and time.
2. The Moose Mountain Area DEMs (Wakefield and Brookfield) are inviting area friends to join them at their potluck supper on FEB 27 which will be held at the First Church of Christ in Wakefield. They will have a very special guest: Mindi Messmer! There will also be a viewing of the film, “The Devil We Know.” The Wakefield and Brookfield town caucuses will take place at their meeting at Poor Peoples Pub on MAR 27.
3. Congrats to the Wolfeboro DEMs who had their town caucus on MON. Blair Moffett was re-elected chairperson. State Senator Dan Feltes was visiting and shared all kinds of great info with the group. They will be meeting the third MON of the month in the months of MAR, APR, and MAY at the Wolfeboro Inn. Meetings are at 7 pm. If you’re a DEM in Wolfeboro, you should join in. They are a great and welcoming group!
4. Greater Ossipee DEMs are meeting on MAR 11 for an event on Education Funding & Property Taxes. The guest speaker is Andru Volinsky. If you live in Ossipee or in a town that is nearby to Ossipee, please consider participating in the event which will take place at Hobbs Tavern. RSVP to Knute4NH@yahoo.com. The town caucuses for Freedom (Chris Hurley), Madison (Donna Veilleux), Tamworth (Bill McKay), Effingham (Theresa Swanick), and Ossipee (Patricia Pustell) will be taking place at this meeting.
5. Looks like the Conway State House Accountability Workshop hosted by the New Hampshire Young Democrats & New Hampshire Youth Movement (which had been postponed due to snow) has been rescheduled for MAR 4 at 5:30 pm at the Conway Library. We can be thankful for Rep. Kanzler who has been championing this program offering from the start. Learn More
6. Iron Mountain DEMs (Bartlett, Hart’s Location, & Jackson) are meeting on MAR 18 for the town caucuses for each of those towns. Many thanks to MaryAnne Orsino (Bartlett) — the organizing force around Iron Mountain DEMs — and also to Ed Butler (Hart’s Location) and Christine Thompson (Jackson) for leading those quick town meetings and for organizing the awesome spirit of DEMs in the northern part of the county.
7. The Valley DEMs will be meeting at the Conway Library on MAR 2 at 10 AM for the Conway Caucus. Town Chair Ellin Leonard is fantastic and is very glad to welcome you to the meeting. If you see former county chair Erik Corbett out there, be sure to congratulate him on his recent move to Conway! He’s already attended a meeting of the Valley DEMs (no surprise to anyone!). Other towns that relate to the Valley DEMs will be having town caucuses, too. Eaton (Jena), Chatham (Bert), Albany (Tina), and Hale’s Location (Knute) have already announced their caucus spots and times.
8. Chris Meier, former county chair and recent candidate for State Senate, hosted Cory Booker when the presidential candidate was in town on FEB 16. When you see him around the county, be sure to thank him for his commitment to the work of the party here in Carroll County. Congrats to John Stokke of Freedom, NH who won the “Selfie with Cory” photo contest that was held on Facebook. His pic received 31 LIKES which means he will receive a $31 gift card to a local coffee shop! There are going to be lots of candidates visiting the county. When a candidate’s team reaches out to us here at the county that there’s a plan for a local visit, we’ll absolutely let you know!
9. Thanks to Bonnie Chehames of the Tri-Town DEMs (Sandwich, Tuftonboro, and Moultonborough) who is working on a memorial piece about our friend Dick Stuart. The Tri-Town DEMs are meeting on MAR 26 at the Moultonborough Library. Healing vibes to vice chair Tina Craig who is reported to be making progress. Healing vibes to county leadership team member John White who is home after a hospitalization. He was at the meeting of the Wolfeboro DEMs on Monday! Encourage Reps. DesMarais, Knirk, Ticehurst, Buco, Kanzler, Woodcock, Burroughs, and Butler. It’s been a very busy period of weeks for those awesome leaders of ours. Tell your friends about the regional group near you. The Wolfeboro, Moose Mountain, Tri-Town, Greater Ossipee, Valley, and Iron Mountain DEMs are great spot to learn and grow!
10. Are you getting Emails from Carroll County DEMs? Are you following what’s what on Facebook? Let’s work together to build a strong network of DEMs in Carroll County. Invite your friends and neighbors. It’s imperative that we mobilize and work together! If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions — contact Knute.